Friday 8 March 2013

Last Night's Opening & Zen Entertainment


Thank you to everyone who joined us for yesterday evening's 'Misuse: Creating Alternatives' exhibition opening at The Cass Bank Gallery. And a massive thank you to the London Metropolitan University's MA Curating the Contemporary team for their hard work and for making it all happen. The pieces in the show work well together and I'm pleased to have one of my works (as you can see in this photo) positioned between two of my current favourite artists, Nancy Fouts and Guy Laramee


The show was well attended with more than a few of the guests seeming reluctant to leave when the event ended at 9pm. Luckily the White Heart pub is almost directly opposite the gallery so me and my band of friends decanted to that fine establishment to carry on our merry making. One of our group was the photographer/artist/inventor/Zen practitioner, Yoshizen/Kinetorori, who kept us all entertained for the rest of the night with his tongue-in-cheek, yet insightful, palm readings. 


Not only was Yoshi a contributing factor to an already fun night but I'd like to thank him for taking photographs of the show (e.g. this super-wide angled shot of me and my Orifice Tower sculpture) and for undoubtedly the most original review of my work that I've ever come across. If you ever get the chance to chat to Yoshi as him about his bizarre and interesting life – it'd be great source material for a terrific black comedy or indie film. 

Exhibition Continues: 8th - 22nd March 
Open Monday - Friday 10am - 6pm, Saturday 12pm - 5pm 

Barry Sykes / Artist Talk / 'I Didn't Do it: Various Experiments with Found Objects' Tuesday 12th March / 6.30pm / Room CEI 38 (first floor) / Central House, London Met Uni, E1 7PF

The Cass Bank Gallery,  
Central House, London Metropolitan University,  
59-63 Whitechapel High Street, London, E1 7PF   
(opposite Whitechapel Gallery)

No comments: