Monday 14 June 2010

Elephant Boy



I love the way our minds works – how we can’t help but see human or animal figures in random patterns or in vegetable or mineral structures. Some people love staring at clouds (oh yeah, I can see a giant poodle in high heals) but I’m always fascinated by the weird things that can be made out in some types of bathroom tiles. I could stare at them for hours. At least that’s the story that I’m sticking to as to why I spend so long in the bathroom.
And why am I waffling on about such nonsense? Well, I was looking through some of my old sketchbooks the other night and I came across a couple of thumbnail sketches of a bit of twig (top image) that I’d picked up somewhere. Looking at the drawings again they reminded me of some sort of John Merrick type creature so I did a quick cartoon sketch and here’s the result.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hi wayne,
came across your blog via some abstract route... thanks for link to sketchbook project and collaborations... have just joined both !!

...and it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who sees a bit further into those bathroom tiles...oh.. and lino too :D

Wayne Chisnall said...

Hi Kate,
Thanks for the comment. Glad to be of service - I've just today received my sketchbook for the project.
And I'm with you on the lino front :o)

Bella Sinclair said...

Marble bathroom tiles. I always see figures and stories in marble bathroom tiles.

I love the way your mind works, Wayne. I took a tour through your art and was blown away by your pieces, particularly your sculptures and pen & ink drawings. Beautiful, fascinating stuff. I like that they make me view objects in a completely novel way. Your Spidey pods, by the way, are AWESOME!

Thanks so much for your comment. I hope you are having a fantastic summer!

Wayne Chisnall said...

Hi there Bella,
Great to hear from you and thanks for the comments. Yeah, I suppose it's just the way that our brains are hardwired to look for or just create recognisable forms in seemingly radom patterns.